Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Balinese BBQ


My hosts decided to put on a farewell BBQ for me and invite a number of church families. It was a great night and had some similarities with an Aussie BBQ.
1. The women prepared the food inside and the men cooked outside.
2. There was lots of disagreement on how the fire should go
3. They cooked potatoes in the ashes
4. At the end of the cooking there was LOTS of food.
5. Everyone had a great time


My hosts even went to the trouble of finding me beef, but then they cut it into very fine little pieces. At least it was grilled and tasted great after nearly 4 weeks of chicken.

Differences were
1. The fire is mainly small wood and some charcoal and is fanned continually
2. Whole fish heads are cooked on the fire
3. Every thing has chili. I made a coldslaw but it didn't go down well - not spicy enough. They wanted to know why I didn't add any other spices to the mayonnaise. Apparently a "creamy" flavour is not it.
4. Everyone goes home as soon as they have eaten. The day in Bali starts very early for most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment