Friday, April 23, 2010

A very warm welcome

The church here has made me feel very welcome and I am staying in the home of the Rev Made Pirana and his wife Orin. During the day I am working at the Synod office which is a very impressive building that the Synod built about a year ago and sits on a compound with their Rural Bank, the Diaconate etc

The day in the Synod office starts at 7.30am with staff devotions and on the first day found myself needing to have a contribution on Ephesians 4 as well as make a welcome speech. Everyone was very gracious. Devotions were followed by a tour of the Synod secretariat and meeting too many people to remember their names. But one of the best bits was hearing about some of the amazing projects that this church has underway. I heard about 15 schools, 7 orphanages, tree planting and goat raising projects to bring in money, a hospitality college to teach tourism skills, a hotel where some of the students  from the college work, a program with aids victims, community development and much more. I hope to write about some of these over the next few days. In the meantime I have been helping to correct the English on various documents, layout some PowerPoint presentations and have “conversational English” lessons over lunch on the roof top. All very enjoyable.





Pictured are the building and Made with his secretary Diana who has been working very patiently with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment